Spinal Cord Injury-How to Avert It?
Hello and welcome to our blogpost. Let’s know about what Spinal Cord Injury is. A spinal cord injury is damage to the spinal cord of any person. It’s a very serious physical trauma that is likely to have a long lasting and significant impact on most of the aspects of daily life.
The spinal cord plays a major role in human body. Spinal Cord is responsible for sending messages from the brain to all parts of the body. It also sends messages back from the body to the brain. We are able to perceive pain and move our limbs just because of the messages sent through the spinal cord to our brain.
If the spinal cord gets injured, some or all of these impulses may not be able to ‘get through’ and perform their tasks. Spinal Cord injury result in a complete or total loss of sensation and mobility below the injury part. A spinal cord injury closer to the neck will leads to paralysis throughout a larger part of the body than one in the lower back area.-
A spinal cord injury is mostly caused by an unpredictable accident or violent event.
· A violent attack such as a stabbing or a gunshot
· Diving into water that’s too shallow and hitting the bottom
· Trauma during a car accident (specifically trauma to the face, head and neck region, back, or chest area)
· Falling from a significant height
· Head or spinal injuries during sporting events
· Electrical accidents
· Severe twisting of the middle portion of the torso